Channel 4 has reportedly held crisis talks over a BBC investigation into the broadcaster’s hit reality show Married At First Sight UK, with all previous seasons of the show removed from streaming.
The BBC reported two women’s claims that they were raped while filming the dating show, as well as a third woman’s allegation that she had been assaulted.
Channel 4 bosses have been described as ‘panicked’ over the Panorama film that aired on Monday night, in which former MAFS UK star Shona Manderson called for the show to be cancelled.
The broadcaster’s top brass are said to have been locked in crisis talks last night, according to the Daily Mail, after it emerged that episodes featuring one couple aired despite producers being aware of the allegations.
Another woman who did not wish to be identified told Panorama that her onscreen husband raped her and threatened her with an acid attack. She is now said to be looking to pursue legal action against independent production company CPL, which produces the show for Channel 4.
In the BBC programme, she told how she ‘froze with fear’ during the alleged attack, which left her with visible fingerprints where he had grabbed her.
None of the women the BBC has spoken to are understood to have reported their allegations to the police.
Channel 4 announced that it commissioned an external review into contributor welfare in April, after being presented with ‘serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors’, noting that the contributors have denied those allegations.
The broadcaster added in a statement on Monday: ‘The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
‘Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
‘Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.’
Channel 4 said that MAFS UK is produced under ‘some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry’, including background checks, a code of conduct setting out behavioural standards and ‘daily contributor check-ins with a specialist welfare team’.
The broadcaster said the two-part review will consist of law firm Clyde & Co investigating welfare protocols and handling of the claims, while former BBC One Controller Lorraine Heggessey will lead an examination of current contributor welfare measures.
It expects the review to report in the coming months and will share a summary of findings and recommendations.
Learn more about Rape Crisis England & Wales
Rape Crisis England & Wales is a charity working to end rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, child sexual abuse – and all other forms of sexual violence.
Whether it happened recently, or a long time ago; whether you know without a doubt that you experienced sexual violence, or aren’t quite sure; whether it happened to you, or someone you know; Rape Crisis England & Wales will always believe you and listen to you, and they can offer you information and support.
You can find out more about Rape Crisis England & Wales here; and if you’re aged 16 or over, you can call the charity’s 24/7 support line for free on 0808 500 2222.
Metro contacted Channel 4 for comment on this story.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.