Two participants in ‘Sarajevo human safari’ investigated for ‘paying to shoot humans’

Dragan, 25, a Serb fighting on the Bosnian side as a sniper takes aim in Sarajevo 06 September 1992. Dragan says he never shoots at civilians, only at people in uniforms and with guns. Being a Serb himself he does not regret killing Serbian soldiers because he believes that "this war is not between Moslems ans Serbs, but between Good and Evil." AFP PHOTO MICHAEL EVSTAFIEV (Photo by MICHAEL EVSTAFIEV / AFP) (Photo by MICHAEL EVSTAFIEV/AFP via Getty Images)
Bosnian Serb snipers tortured civilians while sniping at them daily in the 1990s (Picture: AFP)

Prosecutors in Croatia have opened an investigation into tourists who are accused of joining a ‘human safari’ to shoot and kill innocent Bosnians.

During the Siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s, European tourists have been accused of paying to shoot at innocent civilians in the war-torn city.

In November, investigators in Milan opened an investigation into Italian tourists who allegedly paid £70,000 to join the sickening ‘safari’, and now two people in Croatia are also under investigation.

The country’s justice ministry said: ‘An investigation was opened on April 25 against an Austrian citizen and another as-yet-unidentified individual in connection with possible participation in so-called ‘sniper tours’ in Sarajevo during the Bosnian War.’

Last month, further allegations of Croatian involvement emerged when journalist Domagoj Margetic released an interview with a former Bosnian Serb army major.

In the interview, he claimed an Austrian came in late 1992 and 1993 and went by the name ‘Grof’ with the Serbs, and gave his name as ‘Sebastian’.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

‘I have also been told that Serbian soldiers at Sarajevo checkpoints remember hunters showing Austrian passports,’ the commander claimed.

A French U.N. soldier stands alongside a group of Sarajevans seeking shelter behind a French U.N. armoured personnel carrier from sniper-fire after being rescued from their van by French U.N. peacekeepers at a dangerous Sarajevo intersection Thursday June 8, 1995. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay)
Prosecutors in Italy are already investigating some of their citizens (Picture: AP)

Italian, Croatian, British, French, Spanish, Russian and German nationals have been accused of attending the ‘tours’.

Alma Zadic, a Bosnian-born member of the Austrian Green Party and the former justice minister, said of the new allegations: ‘The idea that people may have paid money to deliberately shoot at civilians — even children — is almost unimaginable in its cruelty.

‘Such acts represent a level of contempt for humanity that leaves one speechless. The victims and their relatives have a right to truth, justice and clarification.’

The shooting in the city was so bad that two main streets, Ulica Zmaja od Bosne and Meša Selimović Boulevard, were dubbed ‘sniper alley’.

A Sarajevo inhabitant runs for cover crossing a street to avoid snipers who are posted in evacuated houses in the Bosnian Capital, on May 31, 1992. (Photo by GEORGES GOBET / AFP) (Photo by GEORGES GOBET/AFP via Getty Images)
Citizens had to run to and from grocery stores, work and home while dodging bullets (Picture: AFP)

During the siege, Sarajevo’s electric, gas and water supplies were cut off – leaving those within the city with no access to vital infrastructure.

Former Bosnian Serb political leader Radovan Karadzic and the commander of the Bosnian Serb Army’s Sarajevo-Romanija Corps, Stanislav Galic, were both found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity at the Hague over the attack.

Both were eventually handed sentences of life imprisonment. Karadzic is serving his sentence in the UK, while Galic was taken to Germany.

The siege ended in 1995, leaving 13,952 people dead. 5,434 of these casualties were civilians. 

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *