Tupac’s alleged killer ‘admitted to role in shooting in secret interview’

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

The opening statements have begun in the trial of Duane Davis, who is accused of being instrumental in the murder of Tupac Shakur.

The rapper was killed in a drive-by shooting in a now-infamous moment in rap history but no arrests were made until 2023.

On September 7, 1996, Tupac and Marion ‘Suge’ Knight were shot while waiting at a red light; driver Knight survived but Tupac died after a bullet entered his lung.

Davis, 63, is on trial in Las Vegas for murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has denied the allegations.

In the opening statements, prosecutor Binu Palal claimed the alleged former gang boss had been the ‘on-site commander’ and handed the gun to his nephew Orlando Anderson to shoot Tupac.

Palal then claimed that in a secret interview with federal agents, Davis ‘admits to his role in the shooting’, after denying it to the FBI.

Enterprise News and Pictures 29/9/23 Pic shows: Rapper Tupac Shakur (left) and Death Row Records founder and CEO Suge Knight (right driving) shown travelling in a black BMW on the night of September 7th 1996 in Las Vegas before Tupac was later shot and killed, in an image shown to the media today (Friday) by police. When they stopped at a red light, a white Cadillac pulled up to their 10-car convoy and gunfire erupted. Tupac was hit several times and died a week later. Duane 'Keefe D' Davis, 60, a former gang leader, has been charged with the 1996 murder of rapper Tupac Shakur. This image was released today by The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department following a breakthrough in the long-running unsolved murder case. The New York-born hip-hop artist was shot four times at age of 25 in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas. On Friday, Nevada's grand jury indicted Duane Davis on one count of murder with a deadly weapon. In a video press conference which they posted online on Facebook, YouTube andTwitter, the LVMPD said he planned the deadly shooting after his nephew was involved in a fight with Shakur in a casino. Davis was arrested near his Las Vegas home early on Friday, and will appear in court within days, the LVMPD said. Prosecutor Marc DiaGiacomo described Mr Davis - a former leader of the South Side Compton Crips street gang - as the "on-ground, on-site commander" who "ordered the death" of Shakur. Police officer Jason Johansson said Shakur and Orlando Anderson, the suspect's late nephew, had been involved in a fight in a casino shortly before the rapper was shot on September 7th 1996. Shakur died in hospital a few days later. Officer Johansson released hotel security camera footage of Anderson being kicked and beaten by a number of men, including Shakur. He said this ultimately led to the retaliatory shooting of Shakur as he was waiting in his car at a red light. At the press conference, a visibly
Tupac Shakur’s murder trial is underway after 30 years (Picture: Enterprise News and Pictures)
Duane Davis appears in court during opening arguments for his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)
Duane Davis is accused of Tupac’s murder (Picture: Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

He explained that a federal taskforce had been set up to investigate the murder of Christopher Wallace, known as the Notorious B.I.G, six months after Tupac’s death.

According to the prosecution, Davis claimed to have no information on Biggie but said he could ‘tell you about Tupac’.

‘He tells a federal taskforce about his involvement which you’ve heard is orchestration of the murder of Tupac Shakur,’ Palal stated.

Jurors were shown diagrams of alleged gang links, CCTV footage of the MGM Grand fight — in which Tupac and his entourage attacked Davis’s nephew— and a sketch of the white Cadillac and its four occupants.

The court heard how in 2017, Davis ‘went public’, showing a recording of an interview in which he claims the former gang boss admits to being in the white Cadillac and being part of the murder.

Davis published a book, Compton Street Legend, in 2019, in which the prosecution says he was ‘angry’ about the beating of his nephew.

Defence attorney Michael Sanft argued that police work on the case had been ‘biased, sloppy and incomplete’.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *