Prince Harry and others told to pay £9,500,000 to Daily Mail
Prince Harry is among several public figures who must pay more than £9.5m to the Daily Mail’s publisher (Picture: AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Prince Harry, along with six other household names, has been ordered to pay more than £9.5million to the Daily Mail’s publisher.
It marks the first round of legal costs following their failed High Court case.
The high-profile figures, also including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering.
ANL strongly denied the claims, which were heard at an 11-week trial in London earlier this year.
Judge Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases in a ruling on July 7.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking Newsalerts the moment it happens.
The cases returned to the High Court for a two-day hearing on costs, during which the court was told ANL’s total costs exceeded £34m.
The Duke of Sussex pictured leaving the Royal Courts of Justice, Britain’s High Court, in London on January 22, 2026 (Picture: Henry Nicholls/AFP via Getty Images)
In a judgment today, Mr Justice Nicklin ruled the group of seven must pay £9,544,355 by August 28 as an initial contribution to the publisher’s costs ahead of further hearings to determine the total sum.
He said: ‘The claimants and their advisers have been on notice, since the hearing, that this would be the date for payment on account.’
Mr Justice Nicklin also ruled that ANL’s costs should be determined on an indemnity basis, which is more favourable to the publisher in terms of the amount it can recover, aside from where orders had already been made.
ANL, which also publishes the Mail on Sunday, had asked for more than £9.9m as an interim payment, while lawyers for the claimants, which also includes David Furnish, Sadie Frost, Liz Hurley, and Sir Simon Hughes, said the interim payment should be just over £7.9m.
During a hearing in July, ANL said the group should pay the total costs on the indemnity (this is rare and means Associated does not need to show its costs are proportionate and does not need to adhere to the court’s previous budget), rather than on a standard basis.
However, Nicholas Bacon KC, for the group, said in written submissions that it could be ‘very significant’ if the group of seven had to pay ANL’s costs on this stricter basis and could lead to them being without enough insurance cover.
More than six years ago, the couple relocated to California with their two children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, amid the ‘Megxit’ crisis as they stepped back from royal duties.
But they are set to jet back to Britain later this month to live in a non-royal residence outside London.
The children will also start a new school in September.
Biggest Reason Prince Harry and Meghan’s ‘American Dream Failed’ and Moment the Duke Realized the UK Could Work for Him Entertainment <p id="par-1_37">Six years after stepping down from their royal duties and taking a “freedom flight” to the U.S., <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/prince-harry-was-able-to-marry-meghan-markle-because-she-didnt-do-this-1-thing-in-her-past.html/">Prince Harry</a> and <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/meghan-markle/?swcfpc=1">Meghan Markle</a> are <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-markle-surprise-uk-return-fears-king-charles.html/">moving back</a> to the country the duke said they were “forced” to flee. </p> <p id="par-2_25">Following their surprising announcement, an expert is weighing…
Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to the UK with their children, British newspaper says News LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, have decided to return to the United Kingdom, but they won’t resume their roles as working members of the royal family, Britain’s Daily Telegraph newspaper reported. King Charles III was alerted to the decision on Sunday and wasn’t told about it…
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Moving Back to U.K. in Shock Decision Uncategorized Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are moving back to the U.K. with their children after living in California for the past six years, according to People. The transition back to Britain, which the outlet says will last for “an extended period,” is set to begin in the coming weeks. The…
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Moving to the UK to Escape Trump? Entertainment Reading Time: 3 minutes With the shocking news of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s UK move, next comes the big question: Why? Many people initially assumed that this means dire news for King Charles’ health, especially after Camilla’s recent remarks. But there could be another reason. Are the duke and…
Prince Harry Looked ‘Elated’ and ‘Enormously Relieved’ About Returning to the UK in First Appearance Since Announcement Entertainment <p id="par-1_40">Following the announcement that <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/prince-harry-was-able-to-marry-meghan-markle-because-she-didnt-do-this-1-thing-in-her-past.html/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">Prince Harry</a> and <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/meghan-markle/?swcfpc=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">Meghan Markle</a> are <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-markle-surprise-uk-return-fears-king-charles.html/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">moving back to the U.K.</a>, the Duke of Sussex attended a function in Washington, D.C., regarding increased support for veterans, and was asked about his family’s return…
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.