Crystal Palace caretaker issues update on Patrick Vieira replacement after heavy loss at Arsenal


Paddy McCarthy took charge of Crystal Palace against Arsenal (Photo: Getty)

Crystal Palace’s caretaker manager says he has not discussed taking the job full-time after the Eagles lost 4-1 at Arsenal on Sunday.

Former club captain and the U18 coach Paddy McCarthy took charge of Palace at the Emirates after Patrick Vieira was sacked on Friday with the side winless inn 2023.

That situation did not change this weekend, with goals from Gabriel Martinelli, Bukayo Saka and Granit Xhaka putting the Gunners in complete control.

Jeffrey Schlupp pulled one back for the away side just after the hour, only for Saka to restore Arsenal’s three-goal lead and move his side eight points clear at the top of the table.

Palace meanwhile remain 12th but only three points clear of the relegation zone, while they also have a worse goal difference to 18th placed West Ham having played two games more than the Irons.

McCarthy had been tipped to serve as interim manager until the end of the season but that was dependant on how the match against Arsenal went, while it has been reported that Vieira’s predecessor Roy Hodgson could return on a short-term basis.

Palace’s board now have the international break to decide what direction to go in, but McCarthy claims he has not spoken to Steve Parish and co. about staying in the dugout.

Roy Hodgson managed Palace from 2017 to 2021 (Photo: Getty)

‘Our only focus was on getting ready for this game. I do not know what is next,’ the 39-year-old told BBC Sport.

‘We take each game as it comes and the next is a big one at home against Leicester. The players have had a lot thrown at them.

‘In the week, there was a little bit of illness going around. Obviously there was the situation with the manager on Thursday so a quick turnaround.

Bukayo Saka bagged a brace against Palace on Sunday (Photo: Getty)

‘It is probably a time when we need to get together, regroup and see what happens going forward. Whatever happens, this group has more than enough.’

‘To be honest I haven’t even thought about it. I haven’t discussed it,’ he told Sky Sports when asked whether he would still be in charge after the break.

‘My whole thought process has been focused on getting the team prepared for today under the circumstances. So I’m going to go home and rest up and see what the next week brings.

More: Trending

‘It was hectic, on Thursday morning you get called into action and you have two days. The boys gave it their all and I can’t fault their effort.

‘They’re a great group of lads, they are great people and I definitely believe they have more than enough to get themselves out of this situation.’


MORE : Chelsea could temporarily move to Craven Cottage as Todd Boehly plans new £2billion Stamford Bridge


MORE : Ex-Chelsea and Everton boss Frank Lampard ‘plotting swift return to management’

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *