Micky van de Ven has indicated that he will stay at Tottenham after the club avoided relegation on the final day of the Premier League season.
Spurs secured their status as a Premier League club with a 1-0 win at home to Everton on Sunday, while West Ham were relegated to the Championship after their 3-0 victory against Leeds United.
Van de Ven, meanwhile, had been linked with a move away from Spurs in the summer transfer window with Liverpool expressing an interest in the Netherlands international.
However, speaking after Spurs’ win over Everton, Van de Ven was keen to stress that he expects to be part of Roberto De Zerbi’s plans next season.
Love football?
Our seven-day guide to the World Cup is live. 48 teams, 104 games, 1104 players – we’ve got everything you need to know. Sign up now.
Asked if he is confident about Spurs showing signs of improvement next season, Van de Ven said: ‘Really confident.
‘I think we have the right people now here. The right manager. So yeah, I’m confident we can do more next year because obviously as you said, two years in a row we end up 17th, it was unacceptable, especially for a club like Spurs.
‘Things are going to need to change and we’re going to see that’s going to happen.
‘But we’re going to do everything about it and I’m confident we’re going to do way better than the last two seasons.’
In a separate interview with Spurs’ media channel, Van de Ven also highlighted the positive impact De Zerbi has made since his arrival.
‘The gaffer has been unbelievable, I’m not going to lie, since he stepped in,’ Van de Ven said.
‘I spoke a lot with him because he also saw I was not in the best mood at the training ground, he spoke a lot to me and said, ‘you’re going to be a really important player for me, I need to rely on you, I trust you, I’ve seen you play, even when I was at Brighton and Marseille, you’re a top player and I’m going to need you’.
‘I think he did it with multiple players and he gave us so much confidence. I think that’s really important, especially when we were in the difficult situation we were in.
‘But luckily we’ve come through it, I’m really proud of the boys, I’m thankful for the staff who came in and I’m really happy.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.