Pep Guardiola is expected to bring the curtain down on a remarkable, decade-long reign at Manchester City this summer, with widespread reports on Monday suggesting his mind is now made up.
Speculation over Guardiola’s future has provided a constant and immovable backdrop to City’s season and the 55-year-old has, time and time again, ducked and dived questions about his ambitions beyond the club’s final game.
One thing is for certain: whenever the day comes, Guardiola will depart the Etihad as one of the most revered and decorated managers in the history of English football having steered City to a total of 20 pieces of silverware, including six Premier League titles and a first Champions League in 2023.
For now at least, City’s hopes of a seventh league crown – and a domestic treble – remain intact heading into their penultimate game. But Arsenal’s nervy win over a struggling Burnley saw the Gunners put one hand on the prestigious trophy which has eluded them for 22 years.
Get ready for the World Cup
Get previews of every single team at the World Cup sent directly to your inbox, featuring the players to look out for, games you shouldn’t miss and Metro’s big England predictions. Don’t miss out, sign up here.
Mikel Arteta, who of course worked as Guardiola’s assistant at City for three years, offered an understated response to the rumours as he faced the media after his side’s 1-0 victory at the Emirates.
‘I cannot comment on that,’ the Arsenal head coach told reporters.
‘I think the day that he makes the decision to stay or leave, then we can comment.’
City have adopted a similar stance in response to the reports that dominate today’s backpages, keeping schtum as Guardiola’s men prepare for their all-important contest with Bournemouth later this evening.
The Daily Mail write that Guardiola had ‘always earmarked’ last summer as the perfect date to bring his extraordinary City chapter to a close – nine years after he had touched down in the north west.
But reluctant to leave City in a state of ‘disrepair’, Guardiola had a change of heart in November 2024 and made the decision to stay put, with the club enduring a desperately disappointing season, going trophyless – if you discount the Community Shield – and finishing third in the league.
The two-year contract extension allowed Guardiola a further 18 months to oversee a changing of the guard. It’s claimed many inside City thought this could pave the way for yet another Guardiola regeneration, with the Spaniard potentially set for another era of trophy-laden success.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video
However, Guardiola – increasingly confident the ‘platform for future success’ was now in place – still had not given any inkling of his plans to City’s hierarchy by the March international break, and the prospect of life without the Catalan is said to have become more and more ‘concrete’ over the last two months.
It was perhaps telling that instead of watching PSG’s Champions League thriller with Bayern Munich, Guardiola opted to attend a Stockport County match against Port Vale with the club’s owner – his close friend Mark Stott – at Edgeley Park.
Meanwhile, sentimental comments Guardiola made about the traditions of FA Cup earlier this season, filled with love and romanticism towards the famous competition, now give off the air of an intrepid explorer taking in his surroundings one last time.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video
Enzo Maresca, the former Chelsea manager, has reportedly been identified as the man to succeed Guardiola in the City hot seat having served as his assistant, much like Arteta, earlier in his career.
Andoni Iraola’s impending departure from Bournemouth, City’s upcoming opponents, provided an easy way in for those reporters wishing to pick Guardiola’s brains about his future plans once again on Monday.
‘Next . So many times – I have one more year!’ Guardiola said when quizzed about his looming farewell at his pre-match press conference.
On the prospect of having a stand named after him at the Etihad, the ex-Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss replied: ‘No, no, no, no, no, no, I have no idea [about] that.
‘They don’t have to do anything, honestly.’
The reports surrounding Guardiola’s future spread like wildfire as Arsenal ground out Burnley in their penultimate match of the campaign, giving Manchester United legend Gary Neville an opportunity to react in real-time.
‘I’m surprised that it’s broken right now,’ Neville said on Sky Sports’ commentary.
‘Not just because it’s during this match but it’s the night before a Manchester City game. Something like that is gamechanger news.
‘I think of being in school and the news of Kenny Dalglish leaving Liverpool, or Sir Alex Ferguson leaving Man Utd and Jurgen Klopp leaving Liverpool recently.
‘They’re just such huge moments in football, and I don’t see it’s news Manchester City would let get out or would want out.
‘If it is true, Manchester City will be extremely disappointed that has broken now and so will Pep Guardiola.’
According to The Sun, the ‘leak’ has left Guardiola ‘furious’, with the City head coach forced to confirm the news to ‘stunned’ players in a late-night group call… far from ideal preparation on the eve of a must-win game, to say the very least.
Guardiola’s fury may turn to despair should any questions and uncertainty over his position seep out out onto the pitch at the Vitality Stadium.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.