Xabi Alonso’s Chelsea reign is destined to end in tears unless the club’s owners are willing to make a major U-turn, according to former Stamford Bridge favourite Pat Nevin.
The former Liverpool midfielder has signed a four-year deal to become Chelsea’s new manager and will begin work on July 1.
An agreement for the former Real Madrid boss to replace Liam Rosenior was reached by late on Saturday and the club have confirmed the appointment in the wake of their defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup final.
The 44-year-old emerged last week as the leading candidate to become owners BlueCo’s fifth permanent appointment since 2022 and, although a number of other coaches were considered, the situation moved quickly, with the club having made appointing an elite coach of sufficient calibre and standing in the game a priority.
Get ready for the World Cup
Get previews of every single team at the World Cup sent directly to your inbox, featuring the players to look out for, games you shouldn’t miss and Metro’s big England predictions. Don’t miss out, sign up here.
Alonso has not worked since being sacked by Real in January after seven months, having been appointed after leading Bayer Leverkusen to an unbeaten Bundesliga title-winning season in 2024.
It is understood that the Spaniard has received assurances he will have sufficient authority to influence decision-making, with Chelsea accepting past mistakes in making appointments have contributed to a disastrous campaign this season.
The priority internally is to improve standards within the squad both on and away from the pitch and Alonso’s reputation as a manager and former player was a key consideration as the hierarchy seeks to mend what has looked a broken club this season.
The players’ attitude has been called into serious question, with some of the squad appearing to down tools under Rosenior who, although liked, failed to command the respect of the dressing room.
Alonso has been chosen as a coach whose achievements can serve as an example and raise standards.
It is understood he will have significant input into recruitment decisions, although the policy will still be conducted in close collaboration with the club’s team of five sporting directors.
The decision to hand him the title of manager rather than head coach has been taken out of respect for his standing as a two-time Champions League winner as a player and title winner at Leverkusen.
Will Xabi Alonso be a success at Chelsea?
-
Yes
-
No
A statement from Chelsea said: ‘His appointment reflects the Club’s belief in his broad set of experiences, coaching quality and game model, leadership attributes, character and integrity, which were key to the decision to ask him to help lead the next phase of Chelsea’s journey.’
The change of course represents a significant departure at the start of what is set to be a period of change at Stamford Bridge as the club enters what is being called internally its ‘next phase.’
And ex-Chelsea winger Nevin fears Alonso’s tenure will end in frustration and failure unless BlueCo are true to their word and really are prepared to dramatically change strategy.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video
‘So you sack Thomas Tuchel, and you sack Pochettino, you had Frank Lampard under your wing but you bring in Liam Rosenior,’ Nevin told Grosvenor Casinos.
‘Their model needed somebody that they could control. Because if they’re the decision makers who are bringing in and doing the acquisitions and setting the style and all that sort of stuff, they don’t want a manager, they want a coach.
‘That’s dead simple. But if you’ve done five or six managers in five years, your decisions aren’t great. Something’s got to change. They’ve already backed down on their stated focus on young players; they’ve already said they’re going to go away and re-evaluate the ideology.
‘So that’s three or four years where everybody’s been saying, ‘You’re doing this wrong, you’re doing that wrong. Eventually they’ll figure it out when everyone else was saying it, and it was damned obvious, particularly with regard to experienced players.
‘This time, if they are willing to give a level of control beyond just coaching, then they’ve got a chance of getting anyone. If they’ve gone down the route of, ‘We’ll decide,’ what’s best, someone like Alonso is not going to touch that. No chance. It all depends on what they are willing to promise.
‘The huge expense has also got to be considered. It’s all very easy to say, we’ll get that manager. That’s not the cost. He’s not the cost. It’s everything else that comes with it; his team and players he wants. So, there’s not an easy answer for that.’
Asked, meanwhile, who he would prefer to see in the Stamford Bridge hotseat, Nevin plumped for his compatriot Steve Clarke, another former Chelsea player, who masterminded Scotland’s qualification for the upcoming World Cup.
He added: ‘I’d like to see Steve Clarke at Chelsea – he’s Chelsea through and through.
‘I would feel as if I was a kid in a sweet shop. Because I love people like Thomas Frank. But he’s one of ten. It would be lovely to go through those CVs and go through them all and think about it, not just off the top of your head but deeply.
‘There are loads and loads of great candidates out there. Again, I mention Stevie Clarke.
‘Chelsea through and through. And in the top ten appearances for Chelsea and has been assistant coach down there and all those things.
‘But they won’t go for him. They won’t go for him. If they did, I’d go, ‘Yeah, ‘I’ll take that.’’