By SYLVIA HUI
LONDON (AP) — British police said Tuesday they will ask prosecutors to consider charging 57 people and 20 organizations with criminal offenses over the Grenfell Tower blaze, almost a decade after the deadliest fire in Britain’s modern history killed dozens.
The Metropolitan Police said files of evidence will be submitted to prosecutors by the end of September, with charging decisions by June 14, 2027 — the tenth anniversary of the London tragedy, which killed 72 people.
Bereaved families and survivors said justice delayed any further would be unacceptable. A damning public inquiry has found that the deaths were avoidable, and that a combination of dishonest companies, incompetent regulators and failures by government led the building to be covered in combustible external cladding.
“We have waited almost a decade for accountability,” said Grenfell United, a group representing some bereaved families. “No family should have to wait over 10 years for justice for their loved ones, if it comes at all.”
Police said the offenses being considered include corporate gross negligence manslaughter, fraud and health and safety breaches.
It said officers had gathered 165 million electronic files and looked at the role of 15,000 individuals and 700 organizations relevant to the investigation, making it the largest and most complex inquiry the force has ever carried out.
The fire at Grenfell Tower broke out in the early hours of June 14, 2017, in a fourth-floor apartment and raced up the 25-story public housing building like a lit fuse, fueled by flammable cladding panels on the exterior walls. It was the worst fire disaster in Britain since World War II, and the victims included retirees and 18 children.
The public inquiry in 2024 said companies that made the tower’s cladding used cheap and unsafe materials and engaged in “systematic dishonesty,” and that the failures were exacerbated by complacent officials who did not adequately enforce safety standards.
Related Posts:
- Ducks autopsy after they advanced to the conference semifinals for the first time since 2017 News IRVINE –– For the Ducks, 2025-26 was a season that simultaneously exceeded expectations and fell short of its potential. They not only made the playoffs but advanced one round, only to be hectored off the ice and onto the golf course by the Vegas Golden Knights. That was the same…
- Meryl Streep and Martin Short Spotted Cozy at London Restaurant Amid Ongoing Romance Rumors Entertainment Meryl Streep and Martin Short are once again fueling speculation about their close relationship after being spotted spending time together in London. View this post on Instagram The longtime friends and âOnly Murders in the Buildingâ co-stars recently enjoyed a meal together, with a fan photo shared to X on…
- Search for man who threatened to behead ‘dirty Jews’ in London News To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Up Next Previous Page Next Page Police are hunting a man who threatened to behead ‘dirty Jews’ in a shocking antisemitic clip. Viral footage showed a man saying ‘f*** Israel’ and ‘big…
- London’s BT Tower to get major transformation into a hotel after £275,000,000 sale News London’s BT Tower will look incredibly different by 2033 if plans go ahead London’s iconic BT Tower is being transformed into a hotel, according to newly-unveiled plans. The iconic 620ft landmark, located close to Tottenham Court Road, is being stripped out and converted into a hotel, more than half a…
- London Tube strikes to go ahead this week after failed talks – here’s what to know News Ready for another round? We certainly aren’t (Picture: Getty) Londoners are bracing themselves for another round of Tube strikes this week, with many still reeling from last month’s disruption. The strike comes after an ongoing dispute between the RMT union and London Underground bosses over Tube drivers’ condensed working hours. Talks between…
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)