Where will Harry and Meghan live when they return to the UK?

Britain's Prince Harry (R), Duke of Sussex, speaks with his wife Meghan Markle while attending a show during a visit to the National Centre for the Arts in Bogota on August 15, 2024. (Photo by RAUL ARBOLEDA / AFP via Getty Images)
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are understood to be coming back to the UK for ‘longer than an extended period’ (Picture: AFP via Getty)

Harry and Meghan have already secured a new home in the UK ahead of their return later this month.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are understood to be coming back for ‘longer than an extended period’.

Their children Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, have already been enrolled in British schools.

The family is not thought to be moving into a royal residence, and it is understood there will be no change to their role and status as private individuals and non-working royals.

The exact location of their new home – save that it will be outside London – is being kept tightly under wraps for security reasons.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

One possibility is in the countryside around the Cotswolds and Northampton, close to the Spencer family estate at Althorp.

File photo dated 25/02/26 of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during a visit to the QuestScope Youth Center at the Za'atari refugee camp, home to displaced Syrians, near Mafraq in northern Jordan. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to return to live in the United Kingdom, the Press Association understands, following reports in the Daily Telegraph. Issue date: Wednesday August 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Aaron Chown/PA Wire
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex during a visit to the QuestScope Youth Center at the Za’atari refugee camp (Picture: PA)
LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 01: Earl Spencer and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at the unveiling of a statue of Diana, Princess of Wales in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace, on what would have been her 60th birthday on July 1, 2021 in London, England. Today would have been the 60th birthday of Princess Diana, who died in 1997. At a ceremony here today, her sons Prince William and Prince Harry, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex respectively, will unveil a statue in her memory. (Photo by Dominic Lipinski - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Earl Spencer and Prince Harry at the unveiling of a statue of Diana, Princess of Wales in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace (Picture: Getty)

In addition to spending time with the King at Highgrove earlier this summer, the Sussexes are thought to have visited the family of Harry’s mother Diana, Princess of Wales.

Royal commentator Jennie Bond said Harry has remained close to his mother’s family amid the ongoing rift with the Royal Family.

She told Sky News: ‘Harry has remained throughout close to the Spencer side of the family. His two aunts, Diana’s sisters, and his uncle, her brother, and perhaps he talked [the move] through with them. 

‘Maybe he’s going to live up their way… Again, we don’t know and I think that’s a shame because we’re all left speculating.’

Photos posted to social media by Meghan appear to show the family enjoyed a break at Althorp, with one showing Lilibet walking through formal gardens behind her brother and father in the distance.

Another picture shows Harry in a pool throwing his daughter head-over-heels in the air while his son holds onto the edge of the pool.

Harry is believed to have taken Archie and Lilibet on an emotional visit to Diana’s grave on an island in a lake on the estate.

The young children met with their aunts, uncles and cousins on the trip, the BBC reports, adding that the family’s UK visit last month was ‘significant’ in their decision to relocate.

How have people reacted?

Queen Elizabeth II’s former press secretary Ailsa Anderson told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme the Sussexes’ return to the UK will be for ‘longer than an extended period’.

She said: ‘They do have two young children, they will be enrolling in school. You can’t flip-flop every two minutes and take them out of school and go back to the United States and then come back to the UK, so I can see that it’s going to be longer than an extended period.’

The former senior royal aide added that the ‘extraordinary surprise’ for Harry to return may have been inspired by his visit to Althorp.

She said: ‘We know there’s been an ongoing issue with security. He has said until this is rectified he won’t be coming back to the United Kingdom, but clearly now he’s had a change of heart and he wants to come back to his motherland.

‘And I wonder, because of the trip that he made earlier, and going back to his late mother’s ancestral home in Northamptonshire, whether that’s made a shift in his views, and he really wants to come back, because he’s missed his life here for the last six years.

‘There will be questions asked, here is a non-working member of the royal family back in the United Kingdom. Should the British taxpayer really have to foot the bill for security?’

TOPSHOT - Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (L) and Britain's Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attend the unveiling of a statue of their mother, Princess Diana at The Sunken Garden in Kensington Palace, London on July 1, 2021, which would have been her 60th birthday. Princes William and Harry set aside their differences on Thursday to unveil a new statue of their mother, Princess Diana, on what would have been her 60th birthday. (Photo by Dominic Lipinski / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)
The decision raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales (Picture: AFP via Getty)

Harry and Meghan’s planned return to Britain came as a surprise to many on Wednesday night and the King was first made aware of the move just three days before it was made public.

The decision raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales – and Kensington Palace has not yet commented.

William – the future king – is estranged from his brother after Harry levelled a barrage of accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla in the years since the Megxit crisis of 2020.

Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the shock return is likely to have left William ‘apoplectic’.

‘In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts, William’s and Harry’s,’ he said.

The Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *