Why Don’t We’s Jack Avery has released a lengthy statement after his influencer ex-girlfriend and her father were charged with plotting to murder him in a staged car crash.
On Monday Gabriela Gonzalez, 24, and her father, Francisco Javier Gonzalez, 59, were arrested in connection with the alleged murder-for-hire plot targeting her ex.
The former couple share a 7-year-old daughter, with the plot following a long-running custody and visitation battle between the pair.
Gonzalez, who has close to half a million followers on both TikTok and Instagram, has been charged with attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and solicitation of murder after allegedly attempting to hire a hitman on the dark web in a plot to kill her ex.
Her father and former boyfriend Kai Cordrey, 26, are also facing the same charges.
Responding to the arrests, the former boy band star then shared a post on social media overnight, which began: ‘A few days ago, three individuals were arrested in connection with an alleged plot to kill me. One of those individuals is the mother of my daughter.
‘For years my family and I have endured intense public scrutiny, false accusations, and deeply painful attacks on our character and reputation. Throughout that time, I chose to remain silent out of respect for the legal process and, most importantly, for my daughter.’
The 26-year-old then went on to say his focus right now was on ‘being the best father I can be’, adding his daughter Lavendar was ‘safe, healthy and deeply loved’.
Avery also added he was looking forward to ‘continuing to build a peaceful and stable life for her’.
Concluding the post, the singer thanked his family, friends, law enforcement and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office for their support.
‘And finally, to everyone who has supported me and withheld judgment while the truth unfolded, thank you. Always seek the truth,’ he added.
In a statement, Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said: ‘This is a case where the defendants are accused of going to great lengths to find someone to commit murder.
‘Most fathers raise their children to respect the law, but here we have a dad who allegedly helped his daughter and her boyfriend break the law in the most sinister way imaginable.’
Gonzalez is accused of seeking the assistance of Cordrey to hire someone to kill Avery.
Prosecutors have claimed that in April 2021, her father sent Cordrey $10,000 as front money in the plot.
Cordrey then allegedly requested and received an additional $4,000 Gonzalez two months later after the alleged hitman asked for more money.
According to prosecutors, an undercover law enforcement officer posing as a hitman spoke with Cordrey about the murder-for-hire plan in September 2021.
Cordrey is accused of telling the undercover officer that Avery was the target and discussed payment and proof of death.
Gonzalez is being held without bail, as per People.
Her father was arrested in Florida after being classified as an out-of-state fugitive and is facing charges including conspiracy to commit murder and solicitation of murder.
He is due to appear in court on Tuesday, May 19.
Police have alleged that he became ‘deeply involved’ in the custody battle and took efforts to ‘discredit, monitor, and remove Avery from [their daughter]’s life’.
Witnesses described him as ‘hostile’ toward Avery and ‘heavily invested’ in the custody dispute, with one reporting to investigators that he said words ‘to the effect that it would be cheaper if Avery were dead’.
Another described the Gonzalez family as ‘obsessed’ with obtaining full custody and cutting Avery out of his daughter’s life.
If convicted, all three defendants face up to life in prison.
Last year Avery, revealed in an interview on the Zac Sang Show podcast that FBI agents had warned him someone was allegedly trying to kill him, though he did not publicly identify any suspects at that time.
The singer is best known for being part of the boy band Why Don’t We – whose line-up also included Corbyn Besson, Zach Herron, Jonah Marais and Daniel Seavey.
Avery went on to pursue a solo career and released the single XOXOX earlier this year.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.