Another cancelled Star Wars video game has surfaced online with early footage

Star Wars Magellan key visual of alien characters alongside logo
This was technically announced in 2021 but it was never said to be a Star Wars game (Echtra Games)

Torchlight developer Echtra Games was apparently leveraging its action roleplayer expertise for a multiplayer Star Wars game that sadly never saw the light of day.

Despite the enduring popularity of Star Wars, that’s not enough to ensure that any video game based on the franchise will see the light of the day. In fact, several have been cancelled in just the last decade.

Publisher EA has been guilty for some of them, such as Project Ragtag and a Mandalorian first person shooter, but Ubisoft allegedly opted to abandon plans for a Star Wars Outlaws sequel as well.

It’s now transpired that yet another Star Wars game was canned last year: a multiplayer-centric action roleplaying game dubbed Star Wars Magellan.

We swear we’ve heard the codename Magellan be thrown around before but, as far as we can tell, the project was never formally announced with that title and searching for Magellan in relation to Star Wars only brings up an imperial star destroyer featured in an old tabletop roleplaying game from the 90s.

As for the cancelled game, it was reportedly in development at FarmVille and Words With Friends company Zynga; specifically, subsidiaries Echtra Games – developer for the Torchlight series – and NaturalMotion.

Expert, exclusive gaming analysis

Sign up to the GameCentral newsletter for a unique take on the week in gaming, alongside the latest reviews and more. Delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.

Magellan entered development in 2021 after Echtra Games was bought out by Zynga though it was never explicitly described as a Star Wars game and only announced as a cross platform roleplaying game.

Early footage of the game was shared by MP1st, which obtained it from the personal portfolio of a former Echtra Games staff member. MP1st has refrained from sharing their identity for privacy reasons.

Said footage features two playable characters: a Mandalorian armed with twin blasters and a jetpack as well as a Twi’lek Jedi who can be seen wielding a green lightsaber but also a regular blaster.

The pair can be seen mowing down hordes of enemies, including Stormtroopers (cementing it as being set during the original trilogy), both alone and with other players, with the Jedi making use of force abilities too.

It looks like it would have been akin to a looter shooter as evidenced by the presence of loot chests. At one point, the text ‘shoot and loot’ even appears in the footage. No doubt the Mandalorian and Jedi would have been among a selection of character classes with their own unique abilities.

Star Wars Magellan gameplay of Jedi character and allies firing blasters at a gang of stormtroopers
A Jedi with a blaster? Most uncivilised (Echtra Games)

MP1st adds that the game was in development for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC, but it was ultimately abandoned due to what is only described as a strategic realignment within Zynga and Take-Two Interactive, which acquired Zynga in 2022.

This realignment also led to Echtra Games being shut down in 2025, meaning it never got to release a new game in the four years it was owned by Zynga.

It’s unclear if Magellan’s cancellation had anything to do with another Star Wars game Zynga was working on around the same time: free to play arena shooter Star Wars: Hunters.

That game was also worked on by NaturalMotion and launched in June 2024, but it performed so poorly that Zynga pulled the plug on it just nine months later.

While it’s disappointing to add another cancelled Star Wars game to the list, it’s not as if fans are lacking options. This year alone will see two new releases – Star Wars Zero Company later this month and Star Wars: Galactic Racer in October – and there’s still a third Star Wars Jedi game on the way.

Star Wars Zero Company key art of various characters
We’re particularly excited for Star Wars Zero Company (EA)

Email gamecentral@metro.co.uk, leave a comment below, follow us on Twitter.

To submit Inbox letters and Reader’s Features more easily, without the need to send an email, just use our Submit Stuff page here.

For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *