Judge forced to discharge jury in trial over murder of paedophile Ian Watkins
Convicted paedophile Ian Watkins was stabbed to death in prison last October (Picture: PA)
The jury for the trial of two prisoners who are accused of murdering paedophile Ian Watkins has been discharged for legal reasons.
The disgraced singer was stabbed to death by Rico Gedel, 25, in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield last October, where he was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences.
Leeds Crown Court heard that after walking out of the cell, Gedel handed the makeshift knife to fellow inmate Samuel Dodsworth, 44, who threw it in a bin.
Both defendants denied murdering Watkins and possessing a knife in prison.
On Friday the judge, Mr Justice Hilliard, discharged the jury, telling them: ‘Very reluctantly, I’m going to discharge you and the case will have to be re-tried.
‘That’s disappointing for you and for everyone.’
Footage shows the moment Watkins was stabbed in prison (Picture: CPS)
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that supports HTML5
video
Up Next
Previous Page
Next Page
Gedel told the trial he hated being housed with sex offenders at Wakefield and had threatened to hurt ‘any number of paedophiles’ if he was not transferred.
He said he chose Watkins largely due to ‘proximity’, as he had been put in the cell next to him the night before, after being moved from another wing for assaulting three prisoners there.
Gedel said ‘part of him’ wanted to kill Watkins, but another part did not, adding: ‘Sometimes what your heart wants is not what your brain wants.’
Prosecutors had said Gedel and Dodsworth were both guilty of murder because Dodsworth ‘knew the attack was going to happen’ and assisted Gedel by disposing of the knife.
Dodsworth, who is serving a sentence for raping a woman, said he played no part in the attack and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
He said Gedel handed the knife to him after emerging from Watkins’ cell, and he tried to give it back but ended up throwing it away after panicking at the sight of an injured Watkins.
Watkins was jailed for 29 years in December 2013, with a further six years on licence, after admitting a string of sex offences, including the attempted rape of a fan’s baby.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Girl screamed for help while official drove away from paedophile ‘Beastie House’ News (From top left to right) Elaine Lannery, Iain Owens, John Clark, (bottom left to right) Barry Watson, Scott Forbes, and Paul Brannan, who were all convicted of being part of a child abuse ring (Picture: Police Scotland/PA) Children abused by a paedophile ring in a filthy drugs den known as…
Katie Price forced to end podcast early after ‘getting call from police’ Entertainment Katie had to cut her podcast short after the police got in touch, as her husband remains missing (Picture: wesleeeandrews) In a dramatic development in the ongoing Lee Andrews missing case, Katie Price had to cut her podcast short after a phone call from the police. The reality star, 47,…
How Filming ‘Nashville’ While Battling Addiction Forced Hayden Panettiere to ‘Live Through It Twice’ Entertainment <p id="par-1_44"><a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/hayden-panettiere-and-boyfriend-brian-hickerson-reportedly-involved-in-scuffle-outside-l-a-bar.html/">Hayden Panettiere</a> said that while filming <em>Nashville</em>, she <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/hayden-panettiere-touch-daughter-kaya-evdokia-klitschko.html/">struggled with addiction</a>. When her character on the show started to deal with similar problems to her real-life ones, Panettiere said filming became brutal. Every day, she worked through the same things over and over again.</p> <h2 class="wp-block-heading" id="h-hayden-panettiere-spoke-about-the-difficulties-of-filming-nashville">Hayden…
Emotional Ian Wright sets new Premier League target for Arsenal after title win Sports Arsenal legend Ian Wright hopes the win marks the start of something special for the club (Picture: Stan Sport Football) Ian Wright has told Arsenal to ‘go on a Manchester City tear’ in the Premier League and win ‘another couple in the next five or six years’ following the side’s…
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.