One of the 7 founding countries of Eurovision threatens to boycott 2027 contest

Belgium performs the song Dancing on the Ice during the first semifinal of the 70th Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria.
The Belgian broadcaster has indicated it is unlikely they will compete in 2027 (Picture: AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

Eurovision 2026 unfolded amid intensifying controversy over Israel’s participation, with Spain and Ireland among the countries boycotting the event entirely

It now looks like the 2027 Song Contest will be plagued with the same crisis, as Belgium’s broadcaster has indicated they do not plan on sending an act to Bulgaria, despite being among the seven countries that took part in the inaugural 1956 Eurovision.

Flemish broadcaster VRT has said it is unlikely they will throw a song in the running, unless there is direct action taken over the perceived mismanagement of the competition by the European Broadcasting Union, which is the association of public broadcasters that organises the extravaganza.

Yasmine Van der Borght, a spokesperson for the VRT, said: ‘Today, the chances are slim that VRT will send an artist next year. 

‘We expect the EBU to make a clear statement against war and violence and for respect for human rights.

‘Therefore, we are asking for a clear framework for participation, an open debate and a direct vote among EBU members. So far, we have received an insufficient response to this. 

Keep in the loop at Eurovision

Want to be in the know with the latest news from Eurovision 2026, and what it’s like at the Song Contest in Vienna this year?

Sign up to our TV Daily newsletter or join our Eurovision WhatsApp channel for live show coverage, a personalised selection of exclusive interviews, behind-the-scenes gossip and frontrunner predictions.

Simply click on the above link, select ‘Join Chat’ and you’re in. Don’t forget to turn on notifications!

Essyla from Belgium performs the song "Dancing on the Ice" during the Grand Final of the 70th Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)
Belgium’s 2026 act finished towards the bottom of the leaderboard, near the UK (Picture: AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

Which countires were in the inaugural Eurovision in 1956?

  • Belgium
  • France
  • West Germany
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Switzerland

The first Eurovision competition was held in Lugano, Switzerland on May 24, 1956 and was won by Switzerland with the song Refrain by Lys Assia.

‘Even during the semi-finals this week, we received no signal that the EBU is hearing our concerns. Naturally, we want to discuss this with other broadcasters. But if the EBU’s position does not change, the chances are slim that VRT will send an artist next year.’

Van der Brought went on to say that VRT is asking for ‘an objective framework like other international organisations have: what are the conditions for a country to participate and what are not conditions? That is currently lacking.’

The EBU has come under fire in recent years over Israel’s presence in the competition amid its brutal military action in Palestine, which has resulted in over 70,000 Palestinian deaths and reduced much of the infrastructure in Gaza to rubble.

It comes after Russia was notably booted from the competition in 2022 after it invaded Ukraine, who went on to win Eurovision that year. Russia has been barred from returning to the Eurovision stage since, setting a precedent that the EBU has now indicated they might roll back on.

FILE PHOTO: Pro-Palestinian protestors hold a flag and a banner outside the RTE (Radio Telefis Eireann) Irish public service broadcaster television studios as demonstrators call for an Irish boycott of the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest if there is Israeli participation, in Dublin, Ireland, November 1, 2025. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne/File Photo
Spain and Ireland were among the countries that boycotted the event this year (Picture: Reuters/Clodagh Kilcoyne)
Mandatory Credit: Photo by Alain Pitton/NurPhoto/Shutterstock (16878965e) A woman holds a placard reading 'Boycott Eurovision, boycott Israel' in Toulouse, France, on May 16, 2026. People gather to mark the 78th anniversary of the Nakba and to protest against Israeli military operations in Gaza. The International Criminal Court and several NGOs, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, have expressed concerns about the situation. Since the beginning of the ceasefire, limited humanitarian assistance has reached Gaza. On May 17, Israel announced it controls 60% of the Gaza Strip, up from 43% at the start of the ceasefire. More than 950 Palestinians have been reported killed since the ceasefire. Since October 7, 2023, over 73,000 Palestinians have been reported killed in Gaza by the Israeli army, while Hamas killed 1,149 Israelis on October 7, 2023. Toulouse: March For The Anniversay Of The Nakba And For The Boycott Of Israel At The Eurovision Contest, France - 16 May 2026
The controversy surrounding Eurovision is showing no signs of slowing down (Picture: Alain Pitton/NurPhoto/Shutterstock)

The pressure on the EBU ramped up ahead of this year’s show when a New York Times investigation found that the Israeli government had been partially funding a voting campaign, urging the diaspora to back Israel’s song in the public vote and showing how to vote up to 20 times.

Elsewhere, social media posts on Israeli government accounts – including that of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu – encouraged people to vote multiple times.

That might explain why Israel has been pushed near the top of the leaderboard in 2025 and 2026, despite their songs receiving more tepid receptions from the juries.

The EBU approved new rules ahead of this year’s Song Contest that limited the public vote limit to 10, rather than 20, and discouraged ‘disproportionate promotion campaigns’ conducted by third parties, including governments.

However, they were forced to issue Israel’s Eurovision broadcaster a formal warning just days before the contest kicked off in Vienna.

Metro contacted Eurovision for comment on this story.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

(Visited 2 times, 2 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *