PS5 boss admits that single-player exclusives will no longer be ported to PC

Close-up of a snarling Wolverine with blood on his face
Pictured: PC owners being told they need to buy a PlayStation 5 if they want to play the Wolverine game (Sony)

It’s official: Sony is no longer porting certain games to PC, so that means no Wolverine or Ghost Of Yōtei.

After years of becoming accustomed to seeing PlayStation 5 video games ported to PC, fans got a rude awakening a couple of months ago when it was reported that Sony was re-evaluating its stance on PC ports.

A PC port of last year’s big exclusive, Ghost Of Yōtei, was reportedly scrapped, which in turn implied that both Saros and the upcoming Wolverine would be skipping PC too.

Now, we have confirmation from the horse’s mouth, as PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst has reportedly told staff that, going forward, there will be no more single-player gamers from Sony ported to PC.

According to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, Hulst shared this on Monday morning although it appears Hulst didn’t go into detail on exactly why there’s going to be a change in policy.

The policy certainly fits with what we know of Sony’s current line-up, with Ghost Of Yōtei still not announced for PC and no sign of Saros or Wolverine either. However, multiplayer games such as the upcoming Fairgame$ would still be ported to PC under the new policy.

Expert, exclusive gaming analysis

Sign up to the GameCentral newsletter for a unique take on the week in gaming, alongside the latest reviews and more. Delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.

SCOOP: PlayStation studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company’s narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg’s reporting from earlier this year.Original story from March: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/article…

Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier.bsky.social) 2026-05-18T18:47:45.020Z

While all this had already been heavily rumoured, it’s still surprising to see Sony retreat from the PC platform when, for the last couple if years, it seemed interested in expanding its multiplatform support.

That’s not to say Sony was expected to follow Microsoft’s lead, but there were signs of not just further PC ports but also select ones for Xbox and Nintendo Switch.

Just last year, two PlayStation franchises – Patapon and Everybody’s Golf – debuted on Switch, albeit with Bandai Namco handling publishing duties rather than Sony.

Live service game Helldivers 2 also made the jump to Xbox last year and though not a first party release, Sony did publish that one and thus reaps the benefits of the expanded audience.

Patapon gameplay on Nintendo Switch
Will this mean no more Switch releases too? (Bandai Namco)

Why is Sony no longer porting PS5 games to PC?

You can only speculate as to why Sony’s pulling back its PC support, but the most likely explanation is that it’s a ploy to drive up console sales. According to the company’s report for its 2025 fiscal year (which ended March 31), hardware sales have declined since the previous year and are expected to keep dropping.

So ensuring that the PlayStation 5 is the only place to play future exclusives, such as Wolverine and Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, should logically encourage people to invest in the console.

That has always been the logic behind first party exclusives, and is certainly the primary reason why most people buy a Nintendo console.

Sony and Microsoft abandoning that idea always felt short-sighted and while Sony has pulled back from the brink it’s impossible to imagine Xbox ever returning to having exclusives, which in turn removes one of the main reasons to buy the hardware.

No doubt Sony hopes those who’ve grown accustomed to PlayStation games on PC will make the jump now that they have a taste of what’s on offer, but either way their priority now seems to be adding value to the proposition of buying a new console.

That may well explain recent rumours of Sony looking to revisit older franchises to capitalise on nostalgia, and boost the number of first party single-player games being made.

Which PlayStation 5 games are still coming to PC?

From the sound of it, any multiplayer games from Sony are still fair game for PC ports, which makes sense as that sort of game lives and dies by its active player base and keeping them locked to PlayStation 5 limits their reach.

As such, Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls, Horizon Hunters Gathering, and Fairgame$ will continue to launch on PC as well as any other live service games Sony might have brewing in the background.

Marvel Tokon Fighting Souls gameplay of Captain America hitting Danger with his shield
Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls launches this August (Sony)

Email gamecentral@metro.co.uk, leave a comment below, follow us on Twitter.

To submit Inbox letters and Reader’s Features more easily, without the need to send an email, just use our Submit Stuff page here.

For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *