Diver reveals dangers of Maldives shark cave where 6 people lost their lives

A diver from Finland takes part in a recovery operation for the last two bodies of Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, in this handout photo released on May 20, 2026. DAN Europe/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO ARCHIVES. NO RESALES. MANDATORY CREDIT.
The Maldives cave claimed six lives (Picture: via REUTERS)

Five Italian divers died on a research trip in the Maldives last week, after they entered a 160 ft deep ‘shark cave’ in a submerged cave system in the Vaavu Atoll.

The bodies of ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri have all been retrieved after extensive search efforts.

Their diving instructor, Gianluca Benedetti’s body was found last week.

Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee also sadly died on Saturday from decompression illness during a recovery mission.

Local authorities are calling it the biggest diving accident in the country’s history.

Now, a video from inside the same cave has been shared by Vladimir Tochilov, a technical cave instructor.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

The footage, which dates back to 2014, shows the reality of the depths. It includes the cave being entirely pitch black and requiring the use of torches, and the small crevices that the divers had to navigate through.

CNN shared the video, along with a clip of Vladimir explaining the dangers of the cave.

A diver from Finland takes part in a recovery operation for the last two bodies of Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, in this handout photo released on May 20, 2026. DAN Europe/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO ARCHIVES. NO RESALES. MANDATORY CREDIT.
The divers were rescued by a specialist team from Finland (Picture: REUTERS)

‘It is difficult because it is located deep,’ he said.

‘And this cave is accessible only for technical cave divers who have the appropriate preparation, the appropriate experience and who are planning correctly to dive this cave.’

Apparently, the name of the cave is ‘Dhevana Kandu.’ Though not officially, its name was deliberately changed by those specialist divers to prevent untrained or recreational divers from attempting to enter the hazardous cavern.

Vladimir continued: ‘There shouldn’t be any unprepared divers, and we even changed the name in order to save the inexperienced divers from the temptation to come in and take a look.’

Local authorities say the dive appears to have exceeded the legal depth limit for commercial and recreational diving.

A spokesperson for the Italian tour operator said the divers’ equipment appeared to be standard recreational gear, and not appropriate for deep dives.

epa12972834 A handout photo made available by the Maldives President's Media Division shows Finnish diver Patrik Gronqvist preparing to conduct search and recovery operations for the bodies of four Italian divers in the waters of Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, 19 May 2026. The operation follows a tragic diving accident on 14 May, which claimed the lives of five Italian nationals. The government confirmed that the bodies were located in the innermost part of an underwater cave by three Finnish diving experts, who are supported by the Maldives police and military. The recovery team plans to extract two of the bodies today. EPA/Maldives President's Media Division Handout HANDOUT HANDOU, EDITORIAL USE ONLY, NO SALESHANDOUT EDITORIAL USE ONLY/NO SALES
Local authorities are calling it the biggest diving accident in the country’s history (Picture: EPA)

The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or knowing about the group’s deep dive, which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian local publication Corriere della Sera.

On May 17 — three days after the tragic accident — three Finnish specialist divers arrived at the scene. They managed to locate the bodies of the remaining four Italians on May 18 in the deepest section of the caves.

Following the rescue, three expert divers who recovered the bodies handed over GoPro cameras which were found with the group.

While the footage has not yet been made public, it is hoped they could piece together the group’s final moments as investigators scramble to figure out what happened to the group after they dived deep below the recommended depth.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *