Girl, 6, dies in hospital after three family members also drowned at Shoreham

Potential victims of Shoreham tragedy are family of Palestinians of Lebanon, and from the Rashidieh camp in southern Lebanon. Hossam Al-Khawas, along with his wife, Zeina Alian, and Sarah, one of their daughters, while Saja, the second daughter, is still receiving treatment in the hospital and is in critical condition
A six-year-old girl has now died after her parents and sister drowned on Tuesday

Saja El-Khawas, six, has died in hospital after she was pulled from the sea at Shoreham on Tuesday.

She was pulled out of the water alongside three of her family members who also died.

Saja had been in hospital in a critical condition after the deaths of Sara El-Khawas, 14, and her parents Hassan El-Khawas, 55, and Zeina Alayn, 37, on Tuesday afternoon in Shoreham-by-Sea.

Her death has been confirmed via a legal notice from solicitors acting on behalf of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, as well as by the Palestinian Forum in Britain.

The Palestinian embassy previously said Mr El-Khawas was a Palestinian refugee from the Rashidieh Camp in Lebanon.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

It is believed the family travelled from their home in London to visit Shoreham and entered the water from the beach near Shoreham Fort at around 2pm before they got into difficulty.

People sitting on the beach at Shoreham-by-Sea harbour, West Sussex. Three members of the same family, including a man, a woman and a teenage girl, have died after getting into trouble in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea, while a younger girl from the same family is in a critical condition, Sussex Police have said. Picture date: Wednesday August 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire
The family members were pulled from the sea at Shoreham (Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire)
A mother and daughter lay flowers on the beach at Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, near the RNLI station. Three members of the same family, including a man, a woman and a teenage girl, have died after getting into trouble in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea, while a younger girl from the same family is in a critical condition, Sussex Police have said. Picture date: Wednesday August 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire
Tributes have been laid at the beach for Sara El-Khawas and her parents Hassan El-Khawas and Zeina Alayn (Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire)

Due to strong currents, Sarah became caught in a fishing net.

Her father tried to flee her, prompting her mother to enter the water when he, too, started struggling. She was followed by Saja.

The PFB explained earlier this week that, sadly, the conditions proved ‘overwhelming’, leading to their deaths.

A huge emergency response was triggered by the incident, with several ambulances and two air ambulances sent to the scene.

An HM Coastguard helicopter and rescue teams from nearby Littlehampton, Newhaven and Shoreham, as well as the RNLI lifeboat, also attended.

On Wednesday, Sussex Police said their investigation remains open, but after a review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, it is currently thought the deaths were a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

Chief Superintendent James Collis said: ‘The events of Tuesday afternoon are a heartbreaking tragedy which has devastated a family and their friends and had a profound impact on the Shoreham community.’

Yesterday, Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls, which Sara attended, posted a tribute on its website.

The school in Ealing said of the Year 8 pupil: ‘Sara was a sweet girl, well-liked by staff and students, and she will be greatly missed.

‘Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences are with her family, friends, and all those affected.

‘This news will be deeply upsetting for many students, families and staff.’

Adnan Hmidan, chairman of the PFB, had also previously said the community was ‘deeply shocked and saddened’ by the deaths.

‘Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire family, particularly the children, who are facing an unimaginable loss,’ he said.

The community had been praying for Saja’s recovery.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Comment now

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *