A missing teenager has been found dead after officials mistakenly announced that she had been rescued following an eight-day search in the Australian bushland.
Lily Hooper, 18, disappeared after setting off for a hike in Nattai National Park, around 90 miles south-west of Sydney, last Wednesday.
Her family raised the alarm after she failed to return home, despite her being in contact with them throughout the day.
A major search operation was then launched in the national park, with police, volunteers and around 100 soldiers.
On Thursday, New South Wales premier Chris Minns was attending a parliamentary hearing when he was handed a note telling him the teenager had been found.
He then announced the news to the room, saying: ‘We’ve got some fantastic news, Mr Chair – Lily Hooper has been found alive.’
After claiming that she had been found in the bush with half a bottle of water, the apparent rescue was quickly reported by media outlets in Australia.
However, shortly afterwards, Minns confirmed that his announcement was incorrect, as he said: ‘I’ve got some terrible news. It seems as if the earlier advice was wrong.
‘Lily’s body has been found. This is obviously devastating and I’m just profoundly sad for her family and all those concerned.’
Lily had originally left her home in Oakdale, near Sydney, at 8am on August 12.
Her car was found at 11pm the same day in a picnic ground at the base of Bonnum Pic, which is a walking trail for experienced hikers.
The area is covered by dense eucalyptus forest, sandstone cliffs and deep ravines, with rescuers describing the terrain as ‘incredibly rough’.
Lily’s family had also joined the search as rescuers remained hopeful that her experience in the bush would help her survive.
On Thursday, ambulances were then sent to the bushland after rescuers reported finding a person in the bushland.
New South Wales Police assistant commissioner Joseph Cassar said Lily’s parents had initially been told rescuers believed their daughter had been found alive.
Cassar said volunteers searching through the thick terrain were dealing with communication difficulties and had contacted the command post after locating her.
However, an updated report was sent around eight to 10 minutes later, confirming that she had died, with Lily’s parents then being informed.
‘If we were able to provide them more detailed information on that first report, I can tell you that would have been the case,’ Cassar said.
‘If I could turn the clock back, I would certainly.’
Police and government officials are now investigating how the incorrect information was passed on.
New South Wales Police said the woman’s body found in the search area had yet to be formally identified, but it is believed to be that of Lily’s. Police will now also prepare a report for the coroner.