Emily Atack ‘holding up The Inbetweeners reboot due to James Buckley feud’

A split image of Emily Atack and James Buckley on ITV daytime shows.
James Buckley is reportedly the reason Emily Atack was not included in The Inbetweeners films (Picture: Ken McKay/ITV/Shutterstock)

Emily Atack is reportedly ‘holding up’ the highly anticipated reboot of The Inbetweeners for Netflix, amid an accusation of a feud with former co-star James Buckley.

The Channel 4 sitcom’s rumoured return was like catnip for fans earlier this year, after achieving cult classic status through three seasons and two subsequent films – both of which the Rivals star was noticeably absent from.

It has now been alleged that Buckley, who plays perennial fibber Jay Cartwright and has forged a robust Cameo career with his character’s various catchphrases, was behind her absence.

The 39-year-old reportedly issued an ‘it’s her or me’ ultimatum for the films, after the pair previously shared ‘a couple of cheeky snogs’ back in the day. 

The actor was said to have been concerned that working with Atack would cause issues in his marriage to fellow actor Clair Meek, according to a report in The Sun.

Atack is said to be ‘furious’ that she was snubbed from the two films and this is now reportedly impacting her decision over whether or not to sign on to the Netflix reboot.

LONDON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 01: Emily Atack (L) and James Buckley attend drinks reception to celebrate the unveiling of FHM Collections magazine at Movida on September 1, 2010 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Marsland/WireImage)
The pair are said to have previously shared ‘a couple of cheeky snogs’ (Picture: Mike Marsland/WireImage)
Editorial use only. No book cover usage. Mandatory Credit: Photo by Moviestore/Shutterstock (5490108h) James Buckley, Simon Bird, Joe Thomas, Blake Harrison 'The Inbetweeners 2' film - 2014
Atack did not feature in either of the big screen adaptations of The Inbetweeners (Picture: Moviestore/Shutterstock)

A source told the publication: ‘She hasn’t forgotten what happened last time. She was absolutely furious that she wasn’t invited back for the previous Inbetweeners reunion, and she has never really got over the way she felt she was treated.

‘Emily’s attitude is basically, “Why do you want me now when I wasn’t good enough then?”

‘Emily and James Buckley have history, and there is no getting away from the fact that it would be awkward having to work closely together again.’

Metro contacted Atack, Buckley and Netflix for comment on this story.

The Inbetweeners creators Iain Morris and Damon Beesley were reported to have signed a deal with production giant Banijay UK earlier this year, which looked to revive the fearsome foursome for a new big screen outing. 

Atack played Will’s love interest Charlotte ‘Big Jugs’ Hinchliffe (Picture: Channel 4)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

It was claimed that Buckley, Simon Bird, Joe Thomas and Blake Harrison – who played the foul-mouthed students Will, Simon, Jay and Neil – would be joined by Atack as Charlotte ‘Big Jugs’ Hinchliffe (a nickname which the actress has said still haunts her). 

The quartet of stars previously expressed interest in returning for more of The Inbetweeners, with Thomas telling The Sun earlier this year that he was keen to read what Morris and Beesley were cooking up.

‘What has happened is that the people who wrote The Inbetweeners a while ago sold the rights to a larger entity, and they recently bought them back so they can make some more,’ he explained.

‘I’m really excited. I don’t know what they’re doing. I just know they’re writing something, and I would really love to do it.

‘That’s pretty much it. I hope there’s more because I’ve not got that much else to do! I do like The Inbetweeners as well!’

The Inbetweeners is available to watch on Channel 4.

(Visited 3 times, 3 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *