Kim Kardashian pays $50,000 to free death row inmate who was served his ‘last’ meal three times

Kim Kardashian has backed Richard Glossip’s long-running fight against his murder conviction (Picture: AP/Getty Images)

Reality TV superstar Kim Kardashian is used to grabbing headlines, but not usually like this.

This week, Kim’s publicist confirmed that she had helped secure the release of a former death row inmate who’s spent almost three decades in prison while fighting a murder conviction that he insists was dished out unfairly.

Richard Glossip, 63, walked out of Oklahoma County Detention Center last week after Kardashian helped to pay the $50,000 deposit needed for his bail. His bond had been set at a cool $500,000.

For the first time since the late 1990s, Glossip is no longer behind bars while awaiting yet another trial in a legal saga that’s dragged on for years and years. Being bailed by an A-list star marks a stark contrast to his previous experiences, having come within hours of execution on three separate occasions.

However, he is still yet to be fully cleared of the legal process, with prosecutors planning to put him back on trial yet again.

Glossip was originally convicted over the 1997 killing of motel owner Barry Van Treese in Oklahoma. Prosecutors alleged that he offered co-worker Justin Sneed $10,000 to carry out the murder of their boss on his behalf.

Sneed admitted killing Van Treese with a baseball bat. He later testified against Glossip as part of a plea deal that spared him the death penalty, AP reports.

FILE - Oklahoma County Sheriff's deputies lead longtime death row inmate Richard Glossip to a courtroom, June 9, 2025, at the Oklahoma County Courthouse in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Sean Murphy, File)
Prosecutors are expected to put Glossip on trial for a third time (Picture: AP)

Glossip has always denied arranging the murder. He admitted Sneed later told him about the killing but said he only found out after it had happened.

The case has become one of the most controversial death penalty battles ever in the United States, partly because Glossip’s conviction relied so heavily on Sneed’s testimony.

Even the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals previously described evidence surrounding that testimony as ‘extremely weak’ when it overturned Glossip’s original conviction in 2001.

A retrial followed in 2004. Glossip was convicted once again and sentenced to death for a second time.

Over the years, execution dates repeatedly came and went. Three times, Glossip was reportedly served a final meal before planned executions were halted at the last moment.

Richard Glossip’s ‘last’ meals

January 28, 2015: Glossip is served his last meal before the US Supreme Court halts the execution at the last minute due to legal challenges over the use of midazolam.

September 15, 2015: He is served his last meal for the second time: chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and a dinner roll, fish and chips, a bacon cheeseburger and a strawberry malt. Hours before the execution, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals grants a two-week reprieve to review new evidence.

September 29, 2015: The execution is again scheduled to go ahead. Glossip is served his third final meal: a medium pizza, two orders of fish and chips, a bacon cheeseburger and a strawberry malt. The process is halted on execution day because one of the lethal drugs being used didn’t match the state’s execution protocol.

May 5, 2023: The US Supreme court again halts his execution set for May 18, 2023.

February 25, 2025: The US Supreme Court throws out Glossip’s murder conviction and death sentence.

Source: AP

One of those delays came after officials discovered some problems with Oklahoma’s lethal injection drugs. Another followed yet more scrutiny around the state’s execution procedures after a series of deeply controversial lethal injections were carried out poorly.

Speaking previously about living under constant execution threats, Glossip told CNN in 2023: ‘It’s still scary, it will always be scary until they finally open this door and let me go.’

In a Nov. 21, 2014 photo, death row inmate Richard Glossip is pictured at the state penitentiary in McAlester, Okla. Glossip is scheduled to be executed Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2015. (Janelle Stecklein, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. via AP)
Richard Glossip spent decades on death row before being released on bail last week (Picture: AP)

The wider legal fight around his conviction gradually picked up support from some fairly unexpected places, including – quite surprisingly – conservative Oklahoman politicians who support capital punishment in principle but who questioned whether Glossip received a fair trial.

A documentary called Killing Richard Glossip also renewed attention on the case.

Independent investigations later examined thousands of pages of evidence and interviewed dozens of witnesses. One report commissioned by lawmakers concluded there was no credible forensic evidence directly linking Glossip to the murder.

Republican attorney general Gentner Drummond later publicly stated that he believed that Glossip had been denied a fair trial, although he stopped short of declaring him innocent.

Last year, the US Supreme Court overturned Glossip’s conviction again in a narrow 5-4 ruling. The court found prosecutors had failed to correct false testimony given by Sneed about his mental health during the trial.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote: ‘Had the prosecution corrected Sneed on the stand, his credibility plainly would have suffered.’

FILE - This photo provided by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections shows death row inmate Richard Glossip on Feb. 19, 2021. (Oklahoma Department of Corrections via AP, File)
Glossip has maintained his innocence throughout the case against him (Picture: AP)

Despite the ruling, prosecutors still plan to put Glossip on trial for a third time. A date for proceedings hasn’t quite yet been confirmed, though. This time, however, prosecutors say they won’t be seeking the death penalty.

Judge Natalie Mai granted Glossip bail after pointing to statements from Oklahoma’s attorney general acknowledging reasonable doubt in the case.

Glossip left jail wearing an ankle monitor and under a mandatory curfew. Outside the detention centre, he reunited with his wife Lea after years apart.

‘I’m just thankful for my wife and my attorneys,’ he said. ‘I’m just happy.’

Film producer Scott Budnick, who has supported Glossip’s campaign for years, publicly thanked Kardashian for stepping in financially.

Writing online, he said: ‘Well, he has to be released on bail, that was GRACIOUSLY paid for immediately by @kimkardashian who’s been fighting for Rich’s freedom for years.’

(FILES) US celebrity Kim Kardashian (C) arrives with her mother Kris Jenner (R) at the Assize Court for the trial during which she will testify over the 2016 robbery that saw her relieved of millions of dollars' worth of jewellery at gunpoint in Paris, on May 13, 2025. A civil hearing will take place on May 18, 2026, at the Paris Assize Court, Palais de Justice, following the trial over the 2016 robbery of Kim Kardashian. (Photo by Thomas SAMSON / AFP via Getty Images)
Kardashian has worked on criminal justice reform cases for years while studying law (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

Kardashian has worked on criminal justice reform campaigns for years while studying law in California. Her publicist said she had been involved in Glossip’s case since as far back as 2013.

The reality star previously failed California’s ‘baby bar’ exam before later passing it, though she has continued working towards becoming a lawyer alongside her business empire, TV career and generally remaining unavoidable on the internet.

Meanwhile, Sneed is serving life without parole. He has never publicly withdrawn his testimony against Glossip.

Glossip’s legal team has, however, presented witnesses who claimed Sneed privately suggested that Glossip was actually innocent. Lawyers also produced a handwritten prison note in which Sneed asked whether he could ‘re-cant’ testimony during his lifetime.

Attorneys for Van Treese’s family have continued to argue that they believe that Glossip is guilty and have urged courts to bring the case to a conclusion after years of delays.

For now, though, Glossip is out of prison for the first time in nearly 30 years while lawyers prepare for another courtroom battle over one of America’s longest-running death penalty cases.

Whether or not Kim Kardashian will feature in any further updates remains to be seen…

(Visited 2 times, 2 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *